– Are you afraid of anything, Tom Booker?
– Of growing old. Being of no use.
Knowing is the easy part; saying it out loud is the hard part.
– I’ve heard you help people with horse problems.
– Truth is, I help horses with people problems.
—— The Horse Whisperer(1998)
– I just don’t know what I’m supposed to be.
– You’ll figure that out. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.
I just feel so alone, even when I’m surrounded by other people.
—— Lost in Translation(2003)
– Can you imagine what people would say?
– Well, if we’re always guided by other people’s thoughts what’s the point of having our own?
My dear Tuppy, in this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it. The last is very much the worst. The last is a real tragedy.
Every saint has past, every sinner has a future. —— A Good Woman(2004)
– What’s “God”?
– Well, you know, when you want something really bad and you close your eyes and you wish for it? God’s the guy that ignores you.
Just cause people wanna eat the burger doesn’t mean they wanna meet the cow.
– Thanks for doing this.
– That’s all right. I’d like to think you’d do the same thing if you were me.
—— The Island(2005)
My desire to be an observer of life was actually keeping me from having one.
There’s a common belief among anthropologists that you must immerse yourself in an unfamiliar world in order to truly understand your own.
——The Nanny Diaries(2007)
Why not? Life is short. Life is dull. Life is full of pain. And this is a chance for something special.
Maria Elena used to say that only unfulfilled love can be romantic.
——Vicky Cristina Barcelona(2008)
And maybe a happy ending doesn’t include a guy, maybe… it’s you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future.
– So trust me when I say if a guy is treating you like he doesn’t give a shit, he genuinely doesn’t give a shit. No exceptions.
– You’re my exception.
——He’s Just Not That Into You(2009)
You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.
And because I’m your father and I’m the only one you’ve got! And the line of people in this world who really care about you ends here!
——We Bought a Zoo(2011)
The past is just a story we tell ourselves.
We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy.
I feel like I can be anything with you.
Ignorance brings chaos, not knowledge.
Time is the only true unit of measure. It gives proof to the existence of matter. Without time, we don’t exist.
We’re so driven by power and profit.
We cling to memories as if they define us, but… they really don’t. What we do is what defines us.
I’m human. I’m flawed. But I embrace change… and enhancement.
——Ghost in the Shell(2017)